If you love animals called pets, why do you eat animals called dinner?

Wednesday 30 March 2011

2. Lunch Recipe: Cumin Paella with olives

    Here I go again with another lunch recipe. I cooked this paella spontaneously today and it turned out pretty allright. 
     
    I'd really appreciate comments on my recipe ideas or a feedback if anyone has tried my recipes! If anyone reads this blog – I hope some will in the future... 
    The following vegalien paella is really easy and one of those student-dishes you can eat from for a few days. Just put half of it in the freezer or fridge. It's spicy and satiating and consists of many lovely vegetables. Today I cooked for 3 persons, so adjust the measurements according to the number of eaters. 
     
For 3 persons you'll need:
  • 250-300 g of risotto rice or normal rice
  • vegetable oil
  • 2 onions
  • 2 green onions
  • 4-5 tomatoes
  • 50-100 g of sun dried tomatoes
  • 500 ml vegetable stock
  • 1 red pepper
  • 1 can of corn
  • 1 package or glass of olives, preferably black ones
  • 5-6 mushrooms
  • cumin
  • pepper, salt
  • curry powder

  1. Heat some vegetable oil in a frying pan or wok pan. I recommend a wok pan, so you can fry some vegetables in the centre, while others are shovelled aside.
  2. Pour the rice into the pan and let it fry until its golden-brown.
  3. Chop the onions, the green onions, the fresh tomatoes and the sun dried tomatoes up into small cubes or slices.
  4. Pour the tomatoes and onions into the pan and blend with the rice.
  5. Add the vegetable stock. Let it boil so that the rice absorbs the liquid for about 20-30 min.
  6. Chop the red pepper, drain the pickled corn and the olives, if they're pickled. Chop the mushrooms into quarters.
  7. When the rice has absorbed the vegetabke stock, add the pepper, mushrooms, olives and corn and stir thoroughly.
  8. Let it boil for another 5-10 min, stir occasionally.
  9. Flavour generously with cumin. Add pepper, curry powder and just a pinch of salt (the vegetable stock is usually already salty enough). 
     
Paella has it's origions in Spain. The Spanish kitchen isn't actually famous for being very vegalien friendly, in fact I got the impression that food = meat or seafood in Spain. I spent some weeks in Spain when I still ate meat, and I can't remember any meal, except for breakfast, that wasn't consisting of meat, fish or seafood.
But I did like paella very much when I was in Spain; the rice and that tasty potpurri of all kinds of vegetables and sauces blends really well together. So I am very happy that we vegaliens can still enjoy a spicy, mouth-watering paella that is not at the expense of animals.

I am going to have to study today, because one week from now my next term will start again. It's going to be lots of work and stress, but also lots of fun.

Enjoy your paella and tell me how you liked it!

Yours sincerely,

- Bitch of Babylon -

No comments:

Post a Comment